Gen has lived and traveled across the US and Asia and considers himself to be a product of multiculturalism. This unique background provides keen observation skills which enable him to capture distinct images.
Gaining experience as a photojournalist at US newspapers (St. Petersburg Times, The Kansas City Star and The Hays Daily News), Gen’s work explores intimate and unique moments of ordinary daily life.
World Press Photo and other organizations have recognized and celebrated his work.
- Brooks Institute – BA in Professional Photography
- San Diego State University – BA in Environmental Design
Notable awards and recognitions:
- World Press Photo - Daily Life Stories – worldwide exhibition at prominent museums
- Government of Japan, Agency for Cultural Affairs ‘Up-and-coming Artists Overseas Exploration’ award finalist 2011
- Guest speaker at Asahi Shimbun newspaper sponsored events held at Tokyo Metropolitan Museum of Photography
- Participant of special exhibition alongside World Press Photo 2011 at Tokyo Metropolitan Museum of Photography
- National Geographic Int. Photography Contest (Japan) - People category
- Ueno Hikoma Award (Japan) - Winning Images
- Nikon Emerging Professional Scholarship - The Missouri Photo Workshop
- Work have been published and exhibited worldwide in museums, books, magazines, newspapers and websites
- Former member of Canon Professional Services (CPS) and Leica professional photographer service
- Member of Nikon Professional Services (NPS)
- Member of National Press Photographers Association